Mastering The Bays
A cross curricular design workshop to Celebrate World Town Planning Day
Mastering the Bays is a full day urban design workshop involving students:
- Learning about design principles and careers associated with town planning
- Learning about the process of master planning large scale urban transformation projects
- Taking part in an (optional) follow up competition to sustainably master plan one area within The Bays Precinct, Sydney.
During the workshop students will:
- Visit the Barangaroo Delivery Authority Display Centre to learn about master planning large urban sites including The Bays Precinct, Sydney / White Bay Power Station Site.
- Participate in a field tour by ferry around ‘The Bays Precinct Sydney‘ to familiarise students with the precinct.
- Visit the City of Sydney planning department (including viewing the city planning model) to learn about town planning principles and career options in town planning
- Follow up urban design competition – students will participate in a follow up urban design competition at school, working as a design team, to develop a detailed concept proposal for one area within ‘The Bays Precinct, Sydney. The winning team will receive $200 and the runner up $100. The competition will rely on at least 4 teams participating.
The workshop (and competition) aim to strengthen student’s knowledge, skills and understanding about the cross curriculum ‘Sustainability’ priority through an understanding of sustainable design principles, enrich syllabus content in Stage 5 & 6 Geography and Design & Technology, as well as support the Work and Enterprise learning across the curriculum area.
When: World Town Planning Day, Wednesday 8th November 9.00 – 2.00pm.
Who: Students in Stage 5-6 Geography and Design & Technology
Meeting Place: Barangaroo Delivery Authority (BDA), Level 21, 201 Kent St Sydney. The closest railway station is Wynyard. BDA is a short walk from the station.
Cost: $10.00 per student
Closing date: Friday 3rd November
How to apply: Complete the Expression of Interest and return to Observatory Hill EEC on 92474787
Follow up Design Competition
The ‘Mastering The Bays Precinct Sydney’ Urban Design Competition involves students working as a design team to develop a concept proposal, plan and drawing for the Bays Market Precinct. The proposal should address the objectives of:
- Creating a new, world-class, food market and dining attraction
- Re-imagining the Sydney Fish Markets, including wholesale and retail functions
- Allowing the Bays Waterfront Promenade to seamlessly connect with a bustling and thriving place that brings residents and visitors back to the water
- Providing compatible housing suitable to living on the edge of the CBD
- Improving visual and physical connectivity to the Bays Market District, and the water, from Wentworth Park
Teams of up to 4 students will develop:
- A concept proposal (maximum 300 words) (30%)
- A detailed plan of the rejuvenated Bays Market Precinct (40%)
- A drawing, or 3D model, of one element within the plan (30%)
The concept and plan will be judged on how well it addresses the objectives.
- Who can apply: Urban design teams of 3-4 students
- Closing Date: Monday 4th December.
- Entries will judged by a judging panel of planning and sustainability experts.
- Prize: The winning entry will receive $200 and the Runner Up entry $100
The following resource materials may help students prepare for the competition.
- City Of Sydney Creating Green Villages Strategy website
- City of Sydney 2030 plan – Green Global and Connected
- Sustainability explained through animation
- NSW UrbanGrowth
- The Bays Sydney
- Bay Community Coalition
- The Start Up Capitol of Australia