This program is a partnership between Observatory Hill EEC and Taronga Zoo Sydney Education Centre and focuses on the Stage 6 Geography topic ‘People and Economic Activity‘. It involves:
- An Introductory Presentation at the Taronga Zoo Sydney Education Centre on the global tourism industry, including an explanation of the factors which explain the location, spatial patterns and future directions of the tourism industry.
- A case study of Taronga Zoo Sydney as an example of an Economic Enterprise within the Tourism Industry. Taronga Zoo Educators will provide information on the nature of the Zoo as an economic enterprise, ecological dimensions (including impacts on the environment and ecological sustainability), linkages and flows of people, goods, services and ideas, and the effects of global changes on the Zoo’s operations.
- A guided ‘behind the scenes’ tour of Taronga Zoo Sydney to observe aspects of the Zoo’s operations, particularly its initiatives to reduce ecological impacts and various aspects of the Zoo’s tourism infrastructure like, food and beverage outlets, accommodation, The Taronga Zoo Function Centre, and Taronga Wildlife Retreat.
- Students will have free time at the end of the program to view the Taronga Zoo Sydney exhibits.
The following dates have been allocated to undertake the Tourism program. Schools must book in on one of these dates through Observatory Hill Environmental Education Centre on 9247 7321.
2018 Dates – Bookings open now
- Term 4 Wednesday 28th November
2019 Dates – Bookings open now
- Term 1 Wed 20th February
- Term 1 wed 20th March
- Term 2 Friday 24th May
- Term 2 Wednesday 26th June
- Term 3 Tuesday 30th July
- Term 3 Wednesday 18th September
- Term 4 Wednesday 27th November
- Complete the pre-visit questions in the Student Booklet.
- Visit the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC) and the United Nations World Tourism Organization websites to view trends and statistics in International Tourism.
- Visit the Taronga Zoo Sydney Website to learn more about the tourism services offered by the Zoo.
Follow up Activities
View the following presentations and youtube clips for more information about the Tourism topic:
- Observatory Hill EEC Global Tourism Presentation
- Zoo Sydney Presentation
- Introduction to Tourism
- Economic impacts of Tourism
- Factors that influence Tourism
- Negative impacts of Tourism
- Taronga Zoo Annual Report
- Taronga Zoo Sustainability Strategy
- Journey to the Future – Securing a shared future for wildlife and people
- The story of overtourism