This website is under construction
This program is a partnership between Observatory Hill EEC and Taronga Zoo Sydney Education Centre and focuses on the Stage 6 Geography topic ‘People and Economic Activity‘. It involves:
- An Introductory Presentation at the Taronga Zoo Sydney Education Centre on the global tourism industry, including an explanation of the factors which explain the location, spatial patterns and future directions of the tourism industry.
- A case study of Taronga Zoo Sydney as an example of an Economic Enterprise within the Tourism Industry. Taronga Zoo Educators will provide information on the nature of the Zoo as an economic enterprise, ecological dimensions (including impacts on the environment and ecological sustainability), linkages and flows of people, goods, services and ideas, and the effects of global changes on the Zoo’s operations.
- A guided ‘behind the scenes’ tour of Taronga Zoo Sydney to observe aspects of the Zoo’s operations, particularly its initiatives to reduce ecological impacts and various aspects of the Zoo’s tourism infrastructure like, food and beverage outlets, accommodation, The Taronga Zoo Function Centre, and Taronga Wildlife Retreat.
- Students will have free time at the end of the program to view the Taronga Zoo Sydney exhibits.
The following dates have been allocated to undertake the Tourism program. Schools must book in on one of these dates.
- Term 1 – 21st Feb and 21st March
- Term 2 – 25th May and 27th June
- Term 3 – 31st July and 19th Sept
- Term 4 – 28th November
Risk Assessment Pro Forma (To be advised)
Visit the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC) and the United Nations World Tourism Organization websites to view trends and statistics in International Tourism
Visit the Taronga Zoo Sydney Website to learn more about the tourism services offered by the Zoo
Summary of Learning Sites, Activities and Student Outcomes
Students will be able to:
|Fieldwork in Action
|Taronga Zoo Education Centre
||1. Introduction to program.
Students will view an introductory presentation (including video study) on global tourism.
- Understand the nature of the global tourism industry.
- Identify factors explaining the nature, spatial patterns and future directions of the industry. Identify the social economic and environmental impacts of tourism.
- Understand linkages and flows of people, goods, services and ideas.
|Taronga Zoo Education Centre
||2. A case study of an economic enterprise (Taronga Zoo Sydney) within the tourist industry
Undertake a comprehensive study of Taronga Zoo Sydney as a tourism enterprise including the nature of the business, factors affecting its operations, internal and external linkages at a variety of scales and the impacts of global tourism trends on the Zoo’s operations.
- Describe the nature of the economic enterprise
- Describe the locational factors
- Explain ecological dimensions including ecological constraints climate and human impacts on the environment such as pollution and ecological sustainability
- Describe linkages and flows of people, goods, services and ideas
- Describe the effects of global changes on the economic enterprise.
||3. Study within a tourist destination
Students will undertake a guided tour of Taronga Zoo Sydney to observe aspects of the Zoo’s operations.
- Evaluate the strategies used to limit ecological impacts
- Describe the various components of Taronga Zoo Sydney as an economic enterprise
- Understand how Taronga Zoo Sydney operates as a business (linkages and flows of people, goods, services and ideas).