Integrating The Sustainability Cross Curriculum Priority
Course Code RG00451
This course contributes to 4 hours of Registered Professional Learning (approx 1 hour pre-course reading and 3 hours face to face)
The course builds capacity for teachers to integrate the Sustainability Cross Curriculum Priority into their curriculum planning and teaching practice. The course can be delivered for an entire school as part of a School Development Day, or for individual teachers to participate in.The course is available from all Environmental and Zoo Education Centres (EZEC) and can be delivered in your school or at the EZEC.
- Learn how to integrate the Sustainability Priority into quality teaching and learning practice,
- View resources that demonstrate best practice in sustainability integration
- Learn about the Sustainability Action Process (SAP), a pedagogy to effectively embed Sustainability into teaching and learning
- Participate in a SAP workshop
- View web based resources that support sustainability integration
- Participate in hands on activities in the field or school playground that demonstrate sustainability in action
Board of Studies Syllabi addressed by this course
The Sustainability Cross Curriculum Priority
Research or Methodology that underpins the course
- The Quality Teaching Model, particularly the dimensions of Intellectual Quality and Significance to authentic learning
- The NSW DEC Environmental Education Policy For Schools
- The Sustainability Action Process (SAP) developed by the Environmental Education Curriculum Support Unit.
Pre-course professional reading (approx 1 hour)
1. Implementing the Environmental Education Policy in your school – Please read the relevant Stage Statements for your class (K-10 pg 30 – 33).
2. Sustainability in Schools Webquest – Visit the Sustainability In Schools website resource portal and choose a year, subject area, key content and topic relevant to your class. View the resource and come to the course prepared to discuss the resource you have viewed.
3. Ecological Footprint Calculator – Calculate your ecological footprint to determine how sustainable your lifestyle is.
4. Position yourself on the School Sustainability Continuum
- Presentation Part A
- Presentation Part B
- Sustainability explained through animation: Link
- Sustainability Action Process (SAP) for target areas: Link
Follow-up Sustainability Education and Management support
The following sites and resources can help you learn more about sustainability education and management
To help you stay in touch with sustainable schools, sign up to the Sustainable Schools NSW newsletter. Its available twice a term and has lots of great information. Subscribe Here.