Bring Back the Block
Bring Back the Block is a fieldwork program that engages Stage 3 students in Mathematics and History, and incorporates the cross curriculum priority of Sustainability and the general capability of Information and Communication Technology.
The program is based around a hypothetical scenario involving a film director engaging teams of students who act as:
a. historical researchers – to investigate the people who lived in a row of now demolished terrace houses in Gloucester Street and
b. model makers – to build models of the now demolished terraces.
The participating class will be working in 6 teams and each will be assigned a house in the now demolished block.
The program is delivered in two stages,
- Pre-visit web based activities in your school to familiarise students with the purpose and skill requirements of the fieldwork,
- A full day fieldwork program delivered in the Rocks and at the Observatory Hill EEC.
- To enhance mathematics outcomes, particularly in the content strand of working mathematically, by problem solving a maths focused design task
- To enhance history outcomes in the content area of Australian Colonies by exploring the different experiences of people living in Australia over time.
- To enhance ICT outcomes through the use of iPads, interactive whiteboards and other mobile technologies
Student Pre-Visit activities
1 Your excursion scenario is that you will be working for a film maker to make models and heritage signs of 6 demolished houses in The Rocks. To help you understand about the history of the Rocks view the film clip Rocks Ramble – The Big Picture and answer the questions in your worksheet.
2. On you your excursion day you will be working as a team (of around five) to take measurements of some terraces in The Rocks (using measuring equipment) and then working at the Observatory Hill Environment Centre on four different activities. Your teacher will allocate one of the four jobs to you. If your team has more than four people, two people will be assigned the last task – making a cardboard model of your terrace.
- Completing a 3D model of your terrace house using sketchup soft ware
- Completing a digital floor plan of your terrace on an ipad using Ha home design app
- making a historic plaque for your terrace on an ipad using Pages app
- making a 3d cardboard of your terrace
3. View the Bring Back the Block Movie Trailer to find out more about what you will be doing on your excursion day. This may take a short time to load.
4. View the film clip How to scan a QR Code with an ipad
Summary of learning sites and student activities
|Learning Site||Activity||Student Outcomes||Fieldwork in Action|
|In your classroom||Pre-visit Activities
|Foundation Park||Social History detective
|Foundation Park||Mystery Artifacts
|Rocks Square||Argyle Terraces Study
|Observatory Hill EEC||Model Making
|Observatory Hill EEC||Creating floor plans
|Observatory Hill EEC||3D modelling
|Observatory Hill EEC||Historic Plaque